Friday, May 30, 2008

0508 Step Five - Chicago


Chicago was the first city that I visited in America, and maybe because of that imprinting I consider it the quintessential American city - New York, even for the Americans, is a world apart. The architecture and the skyline in Chicago are impressive. And then also Chicago, like almost all the other cities that I am visiting during this trip, has a suggestion ready for me:


I'll try not to forget it. And also Chicago, like Montreal before, honors Ettore Sottsass and I like that. An exhibition at the Merchandise Mart consider Michael Graves e Ettore Sottsass the two most influential architects of the '80's


Philippe Starck and Frank Geary of the '90's



and Jonathan Ive with his iPod, iPhone and Mac the most influential designer of this decade, and Shanghai a symbol of the future


I also like Chicago because it hosts some very interesting work of the Catalan artist Jaume Plensa, at the Millennium Park and also this amazing sculpture just in front of the Merchandise Mart


Plus there is the biggest music shop in the world dedicated to jazz (the Jazz Record Mart at 27 E Illinois Street, www.jazzmart.com) where I even found a CD from Anthony Braxton recorded in Pisa in the '80's (and I was probably among the public of that concert... at that time Pisa was a little mecca for experimental jazz, lots of interesting concerts wintertime at the Verdi Theatre and summertime oudoor at the Giardino Scotto... Steve Lacy, Braxton, Art Ensemble of Chicago, Don Cherry they were all coming almost every year) so here I am after an intense day in Chicago happily waiting for a table at a Chinese/Asian restaurant


But Chicago is also blues and music on the street, so here is a street version (including passers-by) of You are the sunshine of my life, dedicated to the sunshine of my life - and that's all for Chicago.


No comments: