Saturday, May 31, 2008

Interlude 5 - Nicola

Nicola is my nephew. When he turned 18 I took him with me to a short trip to Chicago with a quick stop to New York. When we arrived in Chicago, his baggage didn't show up. I had to go to a business meeting and he had to take care of the lost baggage. It was basically the first time he was away from home and I was a bit worried. He told me not to worry and disappeared. He went alone back to the hotel crossing half of the city on foot, solved the problem, came back walking without getting lost, with the confidence of a local, I was impressed. He is a smart guy. All my friends and clients loved him - they still ask me about him after many years. We didn't have too much time, and I was busy and a bit nervous, now we would enjoy more the trip. But now Nicola is a father and a big man, here he is: 



Let's say that he is 40 kilos smarter than when he was 18. And perhaps we will never have another chance to travel together. When we do something, we should always pretend that it is the last time that we do it: we would enjoy it more deeply. We don't see each other much, neither we talk much together for a number of reasons that it would take too long to explain here. But I love him and his brother Lorenzo and all my brother's family and I hope that he still has some memories of that trip. In the meantime I enjoy my grand-nephew (no, maybe that's incorrect but how do you say the son of your nephew?) Francesco the very few times that I have a chance to see him, like the one down here, Christmas 2007. Just hope he won't look too much like the father....

 

No comments: